11 years ago
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Congenital Hip Dysplacia
At Brooke's two week check-up her pediatrician heard a click in her hip when she was doing her exam. She had us go to Primary Children's Hospital (their Riverton location) to get an ultrasound on her hip and then to meet with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. They found that her right hip is dislocated. This is called congenital hip dysplacia. Most of the people that get this are female, the first-born, born breech, or has a family history of it. Well, the only criteria that fits Brooke is that she is female. Only one in very one thousand babies is born with it. We are very blessed that the caught it because it is so much easier to fix when they are younger. If her pediatrician wouldn't have caught it then Brooke wouldn't have been able to walk, would have had to have surgery, and would have had arthritis as a teenager. 

We are very blessed because not every doctor catches it. The downfall in the whole thing is that Brooke now has to wear a Pavlik harness to keep her legs up so her ball and socket of her hip will stay in place and develop as needed. We are now only allowed to hold Brooke in certain positions which makes it impossible to just snuggle her. She has to wear the harness twenty three hours a day (we can take it off to change her clothes and to give her a bath) and seven day a week. She has to wear it for at least six weeks. We go back for another ultrasound after three weeks and then we'll meet with the orthopedic surgeon again to determine if she can wear it less hours during the day.
I've had a hard time with it. I just want to snuggle her and I can't. She can only wear a little onesie and I want to dress her up in cute little outfits and take lots of pictures of her in silly little poses like I did with Lydia, but I can't. She's such a happy baby and smiles so much which is making it easier for me. I know that I shouldn't complain because there are so many other things that could have gone wrong so I should feel blessed that we only are dealing with this, but it doesn't make me not want her to just be perfect.
I know these pictures are all in the pose, but she is making different facial expressions and I just think she is so darn cute so I had to post them all.
My brother sent me a text and asked if it was bad that he thought she looked like a frog. I hadn't thought of it before he said that, but now I definitely think she looks like a frog. Good thing Lydia loves frogs! Lydia actually came up to her when I was changing her diaper and said rib-bit and jumped (her way of saying frog). I guess even Lydia thinks she looks like a frog. Here is her best frog pose.
Poor little Brooke. I'm being as diligent as I can in keeping it on her so that she can get better as soon as possible. We love our little Brooke Brooke (Lydia calls her Brooke Brooke).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment