Monday, June 6, 2011

Hawaii - Day Three

We started day three, Monday, May 30th, out bright and early. We left at 5:oo AM and headed to Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling. We got there a little before the gates opened so we drove down the road a little further and saw this way pretty scenic lookout point.After stopping for a little bit we headed back to Hanauma Bay. Hanauma Bay is a sunken volcano crater that has 2,000 feet of sandy beach. It also has corral reefs that separate the the bay from the ocean so it made snorkeling nice since it blocked the bigger ocean waves. The view from the top, parking area was amazing.
Justin does such a good job posing for all the pictures that I ask him to pose for!We saw a mongoose while we were waiting to go down to the beach area. It was pretty fast so I didn't get an amazing picture. There were also a lot of wild chickens, and cats (looked just like house cats) roaming around.We rented some snorkeling equipment and ventured into the waters. Since I absolutely hate fish and I hate the thought of being in any sort of water with fish, I don't quite enjoy snorkeling as much as Justin does. However, I did toughen up and went snorkeling. I had only been once before in the Bahamas on our honeymoon and this was a lot more fun. There were so many fish all around. We went out in two different spots at the bay. The second place on the beach had a better variety of fish.(Remember that I am five months pregnant and not really fat in these pictures).
We had a lot of fun. Justin went out by himself one time and actually saw a sea turtle swimming in the water. He was able to get pretty close to it. I was jealous that I wasn't out there when the turtle was. These are some of the fish that was saw while we were snorkeling. The first one was the weirdest colored fish ever. It was seriously pastel blue, yellow, and pink. One of them tried to attack me. It came at me with its mouth wide open. The picture doesn't really do the fish justice on how cool looking it was.We were also able to sit and relax on the beach too. It was very relaxing. Lydia would have loved playing on the beach! This is Grandma Stirling's version of relaxing on the beach.After Hanauma Bay we headed back to our hotel and then went to Waikiki Beach.Waikiki Beach was extremely crowded. We figured since it was Memorial Day everything would be crowded, but Waikiki was crowded the whole time. We got our picture by a statue of Duke Paoa Kahanamoku. He was a hero figure to Hawaii, an Olympic gold medalist for swimming, and he also was known for saving lives off of a capsized ship one day. You can't really see the statue, but oh well.Hawaii also has a lot of Banyon trees. I think they are very fascinating.After spending some time on Waikiki Beach we headed back to the condo and had a barbeque. There were some grills and eating areas on one of the floors at their condo. It was nice to just be outside enjoying the fresh air.Justin was our chef for the night and he did a wonderful job!

2 comments:

preston. shawnee. cohen. said...

Your trip looks incredibly fun! We went to Maui for our honeymoon and I wasn't the biggest fan of snorkeling either ;) But I do have to say the fish are so cool! I would give anything to be in hawaii right now ha. Glad you guys were able to go!

p.s. congrats on a second little girl!!! that will be so fun.

Nathan said...

You see Nemo? Me lub Nemo.