Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tennessee Day 9

On Thursday we spent most of the day in Memphis. Our first destination for the day was to Graceland, the home of Elvis Presley. Matthew is a big fan of Elvis so it was a lot of fun to walk through Elvis' home and learn more about him.This is the front of Elvis' house (above). Below is a picture of the back of Elvis' house. He has over 13 acres of property. He had a swimming pool a racquetball building, and a barn with pasture for horses in the backyard too. They have the tour set up really nice. You can go through Elvis' house as quickly as you want to. The rooms are explained through an audio tour so as you walk from room to room you just push the number and it starts up from that location. The tour went up and down stairs so you weren't able to take a stroller, so I carried Lydia around in the carrier.I think we ended up with pictures or every room, but don't worry I won't post them all. The three pictures above were of Elvis' main floor. Elvis had five different stair cases in his house that all went to different locations. None of them were connected to each other.On the tour we were also able to see all of Elvis' gold records that he had received for top albums or songs. He had a lot.The tour also showed some of the outfits that Elvis wore. They were pretty unique.Elvis is buried in the yard of Graceland along with his parents and his grandma. There is a memorial there for his twin brother who passed away the day he was born. I didn't know that Elvis was a twin until we saw that.After we walked through Elvis's house we went over to a different location that had a lot of the cars that Elvis had owned through out his life. Some of them were pretty fancy.I thought that my dad would appreciate this next picture.After we looked at the cars we went and looked at the airplane that Elvis used while he was a live. He had named the plane Lisa Marie after his only daughter. We had to make sure to get a picture of Lisa by it because she is Lisa Marie too.The inside of the plane was pretty impressive. The seat belts were 24 carat gold plated. Elvis definitely lived in luxury. Lydia was being so good in her carrier. She normally doesn't fall asleep while being held, but she was so tired that she fell asleep.There was also an exhibit for some of Elvis's clothes and also one about his come-back tour. We learned a lot about Elvis while we were in Graceland. In one of the exhibits they had a place where you could sing a long to some of Elvis' songs. Lydia took hold of the microphone and actually started her "singing" noise. It was so funny. She liked being able to hear herself louder.We were able to take a lot of fun, random pictures.After we were done at Graceland we drove to Mississippi to eat lunch.
When we were done with lunch we came back to Tennessee and headed off to Nashville which was about a four hour drive. We made a stop half way at the Casey Jones train museum.I know this next picture is blurry but I had to post it. Lisa, being the good sport that she is, got into the the kid train to get her picture taken. I put the quarter in after she got in. She went bright red and wasn't too happy with me, but Matthew and I got a pretty good laugh out of it.Matthew was in charge of Lydia and he let her play where she wasn't supposed to be playing.On our way to Nashville we also stopped at the Nashville Temple to get some pictures.After looking at the temple (which was more of a detour than we thought it would be, but we did drive past some amazing properties and houses on our way there) we headed back on our way to Nashville and the hotel. We had an interesting experience at the hotel. We had reserved a pack and play for Lydia, but when we got there they told us they would bring it right up to us. While we waited we fed her some food, these pictures just make her look little so I had to post them too.Twenty minutes later they hadn't brought it yet and it was already pretty late and Lydia needed to sleep so we made her a make shift bed.They finally did bring us a pack and play (about an hour and a half later) so I moved her into that so she wouldn't have to sleep on the floor the whole night.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Remember how you guys sent me all those pictures of you guys at the train place? Remember how it made me really sad and I cried and cried at home? I really wanted to go to the train place. Please take me with you next time. I love trains. It makes me really sad not to go to train places with you.

Brady J. said...

The gold goddess statue is Arthena Parthenos meaning Athena the Virgin, a Greek goddess. The statue was sculpted by Phidias around the year 450 BC. Phidias was of the most acclaimed sculptor of ancient Greece in his time. The copy shown here, is 41 feet tall, 10 inches. There is a lot of symbolism in the sculpture and she is holding a statue of victory. --Sorry! I knew that art history class would be good for nothing!!!